Re: Stripping leading/trailing spaces in relational draft

2005-10-13 03:04:05

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:16:21AM -0400, Barry Leiba wrote:
? My implementation evaluates the first test to be true, and the second
to false for all subjects.  Trailing white space is kept and used,
because that was intuitive to me

It's intuitive to you that a message with this line
  Subject: banana
should NOT match this test
  header :is "subject" "banana"
?
What, you didn't notice the space character after the word "banana" in
the subject line?  Neither did anyone else.

In case there was a space after "banana", it's not there any more.
I am not sure what that means now.

But right, I did not notice it, even if it would have been there.  To me,
that says clients should possibly mark trailing space somehow.  I'll put
it on my list of mail client misfeatures. ;)

At one time I used a filter that matched (together with other tests) a
trailing space, because a really annoying spammer used it.  Worked well
until the spam stopped.  That's real enough to me for wanting things to
work that way, but I am not religious on this, if the majority decides
it should be stripped on header tests.

Michael