Re: draft-ietf-sieve-variables-07

2006-01-08 16:13:26

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 08:37 -0800, Ned Freed wrote:
[snip]
So I'm suggesting that the variables spec define a base namespace
(I'm suggesting "Sieve.").  And I'm suggesting that the variables
spec define a variable that MUST be set ...

From a language implementation point of view, if you're going to reserve
a keyword or a namespace, do it sooner rather than later.

[snip]
I also think additional environmental information might be useful to  provide
to script. Indeed, I suspect that knowing, say, the name of the system you're
running on might be even more useful to scripts than being able to distinguish
between delivery and other places sieves are used.

I would therefore suggest an extension specifying an "environment" test as a
better approach. I suspect we can come up with half a dozen things such a test
could operate on.

Maybe? Sieve is a "little language" and I like to think of Sieve scripts
as being these little gnomes that push my mail around. Gnomes don't
think too hard about where they are or where they're going; gnomes just
focus on what they're doing right now.

Aaron