Include 04 export/import

2006-06-14 09:46:21

Hi Cyrus,

I remember the hangup for the include draft! It was the interaction with
variables ;-) Glad you've addressed it; I like the export/import idea.

Nits: there are two spelling errors in section 3.4.2, "intially" should
be "initially" and further down, "and error..." should be "an error".

Meat: has there been discussion on the list about what happens if an
undefined variable is used? I think it would be good to fall back on any
such definitions.

An included script could pull in more variables than were exported, and
simply find that some of them are not defined. For example, a :global
script might have some documented functionality like, "export ${this}
for some useful behavior, and ${that} for some other useful stuff." A
user might only set ${that}, but the script has imported both ${this}
and ${that}. I don't think it should cause an error.

On the other hand, it establishes a very strong contract with the
including-script, which must export all imported variables. Hmm.

Aaron