Re: List of open issues with Sieve reject draft (draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-02.txt)

2006-07-11 10:14:42

Mark E. Mallett writes:
But really, a problem is that support for RCPT-TO (and other) scripting probably needs more fleshing out anyway, since RCPT-TO wants to see more states and more information returned from a script than simply "accept" or "reject." To me, this suggests having a separate scripts, or at least script fragments, for each mode.

Perhaps I'd better describe the specific idea that led me to this.

I want my code to send fewer bounces, as we all do, right? So I want to reject using SMTP, not by sending a DSN/MDN.

It occured to me that if I provide a postffix content filter interface to the sieve interpreter, then postfix can do SMTP rejections. The sieve interpreter must run the user's regular active script, skip any clauses that can't be evaluated (and don't contain stop), and see whether a reject is executed. (In my code, this happens to be fairly simple.) Done.

The only problem is that I cannot with good conscience execute a possibly invalid action, can I?

Arnt