Re: List of open issues with Sieve reject draft (draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-02.txt)

2006-07-10 12:39:16

Alexey Melnikov writes:
3). Arnt has requested to allow for reject+redirect to be treated as just reject. I am not sure I like that. Opinions?

My reason:

If an implementation takes some trouble (e.g. using the postfix content filter interface), it can evaluate some clauses of a sieve script based only on the information in MAIL FROM and/or RCPT TO. After RCPT TO, such an implementation may know that one clause in the script directs the interpreter to reject the message, but it does not know whether other actions are to be run, because other tests cannot yet be evaluated.

As I read the current draft, such an interpreter is not allowed to reject the RCPT TO command, because it does not yet know whether the script is valid: The script may also try to execute some action which is incompatible with reject.

Arnt