Re: reject incompatibility

2006-07-27 07:26:03

Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 14:08 +0100, Nigel Swinson wrote:
I suggest this is simplified to

  Implementations MUST prohibit the execution of more than one "reject"
  in a Sieve script.  Implementations MUST prohibit the use of "reject"
  with actions that cause mail delivery, such as "keep", "fileinto",
  "redirect" and "vacation" [VACATION].
So we have gone from a SHOULD to a MUST, we'll I'm obvously not going
to vote for that... I want to give my users the choice as I don't see
a compelling argument that fileinto-reject should be militantly
prohibited.
I suggest you get RFC 2821 fixed first, then.
We should set reasonable goals in this WG :-).

Kjetil, there is very much 50/50 split between people who want to change the SHOULD to MUST and people who want to keep it as SHOULD or even relax it. RFC 3028 used SHOULD. Considering even split (and good technical arguments on both sides) I don't see any reason to change it to anything else.

seriously, a major design goal for Sieve is to make it a secure way of
handling e-mail.  adding features which makes it possible to cause mail
loops is very much opposing that ideal.