Re: Proposal for escaping on non-UTF-8 sequences in Sieve

2006-10-01 07:26:58

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 15:12 -0600, Philip Guenther wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Michael Haardt wrote:
On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 09:44:20AM -0700, Ned Freed wrote:
There are all sorts of ways to do it. Here's an obvious one: If the
octet-value extension is enabled, any occurances of ${x} where x takes
the form of a space-separated list of decimal values is replaced with
a sequence of octets corresponding to each value.

What a brilliant idea! How about using the same syntax variables do,
and embedding arbitrary data written as a function?

You mean something like option (3) from my message of March 2005?
    http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg02018.html

(sorry about responding so late to the discussion!)

the difference is that your suggestion added a dependency on variables.
the new idea is that we're using a syntax which is compatible with
variables, but can be used and implemented on its own.

some issues which would need ironing out:

variables don't allow a reference which acts as a function with
arbitrary input (e.g., "${hex:e6 f8 e5}"), the tail end has to be an
identifier or numbered variable.  unfortunately, this means ${hex:7e} is
disallowed, since "7e" is neither.  to solve this, you'd either need to
abandon hex and go for decimal values, or to introduce a prefix
character in addition to the namespace: ${hex:x7e}.  if we choose the
latter, we could consider using one namespace for several encodings,
e.g., ${data:x7e}, ${data:u007e} and, if we want to stretch it
maximally, ${data:q_53ort__of__q_2dp}

--
Kjetil T.