Re: Proposal for escaping on non-UTF-8 sequences in Sieve

2006-10-18 11:07:48

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 18:01 +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 15:27 +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
I would prefer if we pick a more unique prefix. Something starting with
'$' but not followed by '{' would be great. However if others feel
strongly in favor of your variant, that would be fine too. Apart from
that your proposal is fine with me.

glad to hear that.  yes, the resemblance to variables syntax is a mixed
blessing.

pro: it's easier to recognise magic sequences in the string.
con: it's easier to mix up the two syntaxes.

I think cons. outweigh pros. in this case. Somebody can forget to use
':' after hex, etc.

we have three proposals here:

  $%<hex>
  ${hex:<hex>}

and a slightly more nebulous "a more unique prefix", perhaps this
qualifies:

  $[hex:<hex>]

that would be fine with me, in any case.

I want to note that a syntax mix-up can be flagged at upload time, so I
don't think it's a big problem in practice.

this is not entirely correct, a typo like ${hex.ff} can only be flagged
if "variables" is in use, otherwise it will be used verbatim.

this was a bit lazy editting on my part.  I made the argument for the
reinstating of status quo in a different thread, so please ignore the
removal here.

So I will argue in another thread ;-).

you haven't done so yet :-)  it may have been lost in the long thread,
I'll repost my suggestion in a new thread.

--
Kjetil T.