Re: Proposal for escaping on non-UTF-8 sequences in Sieve

2006-10-20 01:55:57

There are a number of issues that need to be clarified before the proposed extension will be ready for inclusion:

Do implementations have to support encodings of NUL ala ${hex:0}? If so, that will be a barrier to this extension being broadly supported.
(I think it should be a "MAY support".)

Which comes first, encoding replacement or variable expansion? Or are they concurrent? Whatever the answer, the variables I-D will need to make that clear.
(I think encoding replacement should come before variable expansion.)

unicode-hex should be 1*6HEXDIG: the Unicode range goes up to 10FFFF

The next rev of the base-spec includes this:
        Extensions MUST NOT change the behavior of the "require"
        control command.
I believe that means that this extension can't be used in the capability argument to 'require', so there's at least one place where Unicode characters can't be encoded using ${unicode:...}.

I'll note that while a script that uses this extension for all non-UTF8 octets may be displayable without munging, the result may still be incomprehensible if, for example, an 8bit ISO-2022-JP MIME part is included in a string. Indeed, such encoding will probably make it more difficult to display that MIME part readably: currently, if a user is viewing the script with raw ISO-2022-JP in it they can probably display that MIME part by overriding their browser's charset encoding for the page.

Philip Guenther