Re: Proposal for escaping on non-UTF-8 sequences in Sieve

2006-10-18 23:55:39

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 07:49:55PM +0200, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
we have three proposals here:

  $%<hex>
  ${hex:<hex>}

and a slightly more nebulous "a more unique prefix", perhaps this
qualifies:

  $[hex:<hex>]

that would be fine with me, in any case.

I like ${hex:<hex>}, because it looks like a function and we can use the
same syntax for other string expansions, too.

I want to note that a syntax mix-up can be flagged at upload time, so I
don't think it's a big problem in practice.

this is not entirely correct, a typo like ${hex.ff} can only be flagged
if "variables" is in use, otherwise it will be used verbatim.

This particular typo will indeed be used verbatim, whereas ${hex:fg} can
be recognised.

Michael