a conflict between 3598(bis) and the base specification

2007-09-25 03:02:30

Hi,

3598 and 3598bis contain this (which I apologise for not spotting while reviewing 3598bis):

   The ":detail" argument specifies that sub-part of the local-part
   which lies to the right of the separator character (e.g., "sieve" in
   "ken+sieve(_at_)example(_dot_)org").  If no separator character exists, the
test
   evaluates to false.  If nothing lies to the right of the separator
   character, then ":detail" ":is" the null key ("").  Otherwise, the
   ":detail" sub-part contains the null key.

Why is the second sentence there? It seems to add a new value or throw an exception which aborts the surrounding test and attempts to override its result.

Consider this test and header fragment:

    if address :detail ["to", "cc"] "sieve" {
        fileinto "sieve";
    }

    From: someone(_at_)example(_dot_)org
    To: arnt+sieve(_at_)example(_dot_)org
    Cc: someone(_at_)example(_dot_)org

The specification for the "address" test lead me to think that since I'm addressed as arnt+sieve, the test should hit. But no separator character exists on the Cc field, so the second sentence quoted above says the address test fails.

I don't like the way the address and :detail specifications conflict in this case.

Arnt