Re: a conflict between 3598(bis) and the base specification

2007-09-25 14:22:00

Ned Freed wrote:

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> Ken Murchison writes:
>> True, the test against the Cc field fails, but when given a list of
>> headers/strings, a logical OR is applied, so matching against To is
>> sufficient for the test to succeed.
>
> Ah, now I see what you're saying. But 3028 consistently talks about
> "address" as a single test with multiple arguments, not as a collection
> of single-argument tests, so "the test evaluates to false" is less than
> ideal phrasing.
>
> 3598bis is in the RFC-Editor's queue, isn't it? Too late to change
> anything substantive. I suppose a minor rephrasing could be done during
> auth48. Perhaps ", then the :detail doesn't match anything" or something
> like that. Not terribly important. Change it if you think that's both
> appropriate and permissible.

Anyone want to second this suggestion?

Changing it to say "fails to match" or something similar seems fine to me.

How about this?

Original text:

If the address is not encoded to contain a detail sub-part, then the test evaluates to false.

Proposed text 1:

If the address is not encoded to contain a detail sub-part, then the address fails to match any of the key-list arguments.

Proposed text 2:

If the address is not encoded to contain a detail sub-part, then the address fails to match any of the specified keys.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer