Re: a conflict between 3598(bis) and the base specification

2007-09-25 05:44:33

Ken Murchison writes:
True, the test against the Cc field fails, but when given a list of headers/strings, a logical OR is applied, so matching against To is sufficient for the test to succeed.

Ah, now I see what you're saying. But 3028 consistently talks about "address" as a single test with multiple arguments, not as a collection of single-argument tests, so "the test evaluates to false" is less than ideal phrasing.

3598bis is in the RFC-Editor's queue, isn't it? Too late to change anything substantive. I suppose a minor rephrasing could be done during auth48. Perhaps ", then the :detail doesn't match anything" or something like that. Not terribly important. Change it if you think that's both appropriate and permissible.

In fact, the implementation SHOULD short-circuit the test after the To, and never test against Cc.

That's irrelevant. If the example test were address :detail ["cc", "to"] or the example header's Cc field were before its To field, this argument would not apply. Much too fragile to matter.

Arnt
(noncompliant implementer)