autoresponses and localparts

2007-10-12 03:12:06

This sort of concerns vacation, but it's a little more general really. I'm trying to suppress duplicate autoresponses and have a problem with case sensitivity in localparts. Most locaparts are case insensitive, as far as I can tell. Mine certainly are. So I have three possibilies:

1. Case-fold both localparts before storing the (sender,handle,recipient,expiry) tuple.
2. Case-fold only the sender's localpart.
3. Case-fold neither (just in case :from refers to a non-local case-sensitive localpart).

This isn't a big issue. I've seen both Ned(_dot_)Freed(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_) and ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_), so if I don't case-fold, Ned might get two autoresponses. If I inappropriately case-fold, a very very few messages might be suppressed. But I have to decide before I write the unit test, and I'm feeling indecisive.

So: What do other implementations do?

Arnt