Re: autoresponses and localparts

2007-10-17 09:52:32

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 03:11:18PM +0200, Michael Haardt wrote:

This sort of concerns vacation, but it's a little more general really.

Indeed! I never thought about it and RFC 3834 appears to be silent about
the topic.

1. Case-fold both localparts before storing the
(sender,handle,recipient,expiry) tuple.
2. Case-fold only the sender's localpart.
3. Case-fold neither (just in case :from refers to a non-local
case-sensitive localpart).

Exim uses 3 and I like it that way.

I'm not doing any case folding at all; it hadn't occured to me.  It
would probably be prudent to case-fold the sender domain name; are
others?

Related note:  here, "recipient" is not explicitly part of the tuple;
each recipient mailbox has their own vacation database.  If you're using
a global database, and thus store the recipient as part of the tuple,
are you using the final destination?  e.g. if "mark" and "mem" map to
the same mailbox, do you treat them as equivalent?  (I do by default,
since as I say the database is attached to the mailbox.)

mm