Re: [Fwd: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-sieve-notify-mailto-07.txt]

2008-04-12 11:18:43

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:22:41PM +0200, Michael Haardt wrote:

Let me try to get rid of the quoted discussion.  We ended up with
this so far:

  If ":from" is not specified or is not valid, the envelope
  sender of the notification message SHOULD be set either to the
  envelope "to" field from the triggering message, as used by
  Sieve, or to an email address associated with the notification system,
  at the discretion of the implementation.

Now you suggest, after we got rid of the fixed address of the notification
system, we should get rid of the fixed envelope "to" field as well and
replace it with "the address of the owner of the Sieve script", which
is what vacation does.  The version would be:

  If ":from" is not specified or is not valid, the envelope
  sender of the notification message SHOULD be set either to the
  the address of the owner of the Sieve script,
  or to an email address associated with the notification system,
  at the discretion of the implementation.

Correct so far?

I didn't [intend to] suggest getting rid of the envelope-to field from
the list of choices, but only to add an address associated with the
Sieve script to that list.  I think the owner's address is at least as
good a choice for a fixed address as a system-wide one.  It may be
more readable to express it as a list, e.g.:

   If ":from" is not specified or is not valid, the envelope
   sender of the notification message SHOULD be selected from
   one of the following, at the discretion of the implementation:
     - the envelope "to" field from the triggering message, as used
       by Sieve;
     - the address of the owner of the Sieve script;
     - an email address associated with the notification system.

At any rate, I was attempting to add one thing to the list of choices,
not subtract from it.

mm