Re: draft-freed-sieve-in-xml status?

2009-01-12 02:51:24

On 1/12/09, Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Ned Freed
<ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

<snip>

But really, this entire discussion has gone very far afield. Like it
or not,
Sieve is intended to be a language used to process email messages at
or around
the time of final delivery.
The fact that it can be adapted for other uses may
be interesting to you but simply is not relevant in the context of
the work
this group is chartered to do.

is this http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/sieve-charter.html the
charter?

Yes

could anyone kindly point me to the sections which indicate that only
mail servers of a particular class of architecture are in scope?

I've already done so in previous messages. It's the very first thing RFC
5228,
the Sieve base specification, says:

   This document describes a language for filtering email messages at
   time of final delivery.

Final delivery is a formal term used in many IETF email standards. It refers
the point at which the message exists the SMTP transport infrastructure and
enters the message store.

As its charter makes clear, the current Sieve group is chartered to work on
very specific set of Sieve extensions. There is nothing in there about
revisiting the scope of applicability of Sieve.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I undestand now that this working group has been intentionally
chartered to exclude mail servers with a spooling architecture. Can
anybody explain why the IETF decided to exclude this class of mail
server from it's specification process?

Robert