Re: draft-freed-sieve-in-xml status?

2009-01-12 10:15:50

Robert Burrell Donkin writes:
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen
<arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote:
How to spool mail on disk is out of scope, and now to operate on the spooled mail is, too.

AIUI spooling does not imply that it's stored to disc, just that the SMTP transaction has completed and that the mail has been committed to permanent storage.

Careless of me. Please allow me to rephrase my sentence: «How to spool mail is out of scope, and now to operate on the spooled mail is, too».

however, the limit of the end of the SMTP transaction is an arbitrary restriction based on a particular mail server architecture. there are many ways that mail can enter a system over the public internet before final delivery. the working group documentation is anything but clear on the point that this working group is limited to the consideration of filter a single protocol (SMTP).

It isn't limited to that. Borderline issues are in, only issues which do not apply to delivery over the internet are out.

Is there any such issue in Ned's draft?

Arnt