Re: [sieve] Notify (RFC 5435) questions

2009-10-05 11:14:11
I agree that it'd be better to put it into the variables spec.  You
know I'm not suggesting going through everything to say where you can
and can't do variable substitution; you should know me better than
that.  But Hannah has a point: the variables spec says this:

  This extension changes the semantics of quoted-string, multi-line-
  literal and multi-line-dotstuff found in [SIEVE] to enable the
  inclusion of the value of variables.

...and the grammar for "importance" uses none of those three syntax
constructions.  Taken at its word, that would imply that variable
substitution doesn't apply here.

I am fine with this being reported as an Erratum. Do you want to do that?

I said this in the same note:

We might change RFC 5229 to add that
variables can substitute for literal strings as well.  Or we might
decide that it's clear enough, and doesn't need changing.

...and no one's specifically commented on it.  If we have
rough/vague/sorta-maybe consensus for making a small change to 5229,
I'll submit an erratum.  Otherwise, we ought to leave it as is.  I
particularly want to hear Ned's opinion, as well as, of course, those
of others.

I just suggested some possible text. I don't think it's great, but it's
a start.

The change I would propose is to make the quoted text, above, change to this:

     This extension changes the semantics of quoted-string, multi-line-
     literal and multi-line-dotstuff found in [SIEVE], including any
literals that are
     directly specified in the grammar, to enable the inclusion of the
value of variables.

This is too narrow. Any sort of syntax restriction, whether to a set of
specific strings, or to a time zone, or whatever, could possibly be construed
as not allowed variable usage. What needs to be conveyed is that these syntax
restrictions apply to the _result_ of variable substitution if such
substitutions are used.

As far as I can tell, that is the only place in RFC 5229 that says
anything about what variables can substitute for.

Agreed.