Re: [sieve] Notify (RFC 5435) questions

2009-10-05 19:27:16
--On Monday, October 05, 2009 03:31:11 PM -0700 NED+mta-filters(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

> I'll also note that since we don't include "number" in the
> constructions that can be substituted, we can't use variables in the
> "size" test, for example.  So this is syntactically invalid:
>
>        if size :over ${max} {
>            discard;
>        }
>
> I'm not sure whether or not that was intended.

I seemed clear enough to me at the time.  The fact that we call out the
syntax elements for quoted-string and multiline strings would seem to
back up that people knew we were just talking about strings.

I'd be inclined to agree. The variables extension as published does not cover non-strings, and while it might be nice to be able to use variables in place of numbers, adding that feature would be a real change, not a mere correction to an oversight.

In case it isn't obvious, I will also point out that this is a change to
core Sieve syntax. That's a very big deal and not a change to be
considered lightly.

Very true. I think I'd sooner define a new test which works like size but uses a string.

-- Jeff