Preliminary minutes from the meeting this morning

2004-03-03 21:08:28
If you have comments, let me and Ted know.

   paf

Marid BoF

Scribes include Spencer Dawkins <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>...

Patrik and Ted co-chairing, with a really tight leash...

Topic is MTA authentication, period. Behave in the BoF if you want to move to a working group.

BoF chartered out of ASRG in IRTF - we think this is what is ready for IETF now.

Patrik - we're working on this wrong - solutions driving search for problems instead of the other way around.
    Need to agree on the problem we're solving, and need to do that up front.

    SMTP used in many ways, between many entities, with spam, worms and trojans injected in a proper mail flow
    These injections look like any other mail until they get to the end user
    Patrik displayed a lovely work of modern art showing mail flows between MUAs using a variety of paths
    Things start fairly simply, but get complicated pretty quickly with relays, mailing lists, etc.
    Open questions - will verification of SMTP peer help? what transition strategies are going to work?
       What will spammers do in response?
       Not everyone uses the same SMTP relay (some belonging to ISP, some belonging to domain)
       Is SMTP-AUTH/port 576 the right answer?
       Are increased restrictions on relay rewriting going to be deployed?
       What DNS RRs should be used?
    Patrik has a summary comparison of proposals, but we're not talking about "which one is best"

Q: How many MTAs are there? at least one per e-mail domain? Raising concern about database size requirements...