Re: Passing authentication information via SMTP

2004-03-10 12:13:15

Yakov,

YS> My reading of the entire section 4.4 implies that the MAIL FROM
YS> parameter which the "Return-path" headers preserves as stated, is
YS> specifically for the purpose of the bounces.

It would be wonderful to have specifications that were perfectly clear
and precise for all readers.  No one has figured out how to produce one.
This makes focusing on small segments of specification out of context a
bit dangerous.

Worse, usage changes over time, so a specification must be taken in the
context of current usage.

The exercise you have demonstrated, in reviewing some context, for
determining a particular protocol feature, is something we all need to
do.  It leads to interpretations that are more robust and usually more
accurate.

d/

ps.  In the U.S., the postal equivalent to SMTP's "mail from" is called
"return address", because that's what it is used for.  The fact that it
has a high correlation with the sender/author is nice, but ancillary.

--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>