Re: Everyone back from Seoul yet?

2004-03-10 12:06:21

Meng Weng Wong said:
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 05:09:10PM +0100, Markus Stumpf wrote:
| The number of "joe-user.de" domains is outnumbering the business domains
| by far and most of them simply have their domain because it is as cheap
| as 1 EUR/month. Some just know enough about the Internet to connect
| and start their preferred chat system (and the configuration was done
| by a friend of a friend). Trying to help them set up something like SPF
| is simply without any chance.

In economic terms, I see this part of the war on spam as an inevitable
cost-shifting from the antispam community to other sectors of the Net.

Ultimately it may be more efficient for these vanity domain owners to
pay 2 EUR/month instead of 1 EUR/month if that means that the rest of
the Internet can stop spending an estimated $1,000,000,000 per year on
fighting spam.

No matter how much we wish, the Internet economy will not become efficient
for the sake of stopping spam. That price increase will never occur,
because there won't be upstream price increases in the domain registration
and web-hosting businesses.

The solution to this is to ignore the issue for now. Once deployment of
LMAP has begun, the working group responsible can pick a flag-day
sufficiently far in the future on which it becomes acceptable for SMTP
servers to 55x mail from domains not advertising LMAP records.

--
Philip Miller
millenix(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net