On the interpretation question.

2004-03-16 09:37:32

Take a look at the following post from the SPF list.

One thing it shows is that this particular user has a problem that is
due to his local mail configuration.

Rather than telling him to fix it (he won't) I think we need to accept
that any set of rules for processing records are going to be affected
by the local mail configuration.

So rather than having the 'debate' proposed in the charter as to which
aspects of a mail message are the 'right' ones to use I think we should
try to write a spec that does not need the debate.

The quickest way to write the spec is to specify the least amount that
is required in order to achieve interoperability with a sender and a
receiver.

If the receiver is a standard one and the mail has not been transfered
through a forwarder it does not matter which of the attributes are
used they should all work as well.

If you work at the gateway then you can use the SMTP FROM address and
the results will work.

If you are writing a client side filter you are going to have to be
clever and work out how to sense what the local mail config happens
to be and adapt.

The point is that we do not need to write normative text for the receiver
end, and even if we do write normative text it can and should be ignored.

The only point where the text needs to be normative is at the generator
end. And that is where the sender gets told 'before you deploy SPF records
make sure your mail server is in compliance with these particular
RFC 2821 etc requirements.' when necessary.

Writing the spec in a declarative fashion becomes quite easy. You simply
tell the sender to list out the set of all outgoing mail services at
the edge of their network that you wish external receivers to accept
mail from. You then provide simple ways to encode that set:

1) A list of the IP addresses themselves
2) By reference to other configuration data (e.g. mx records)
3) By reference to a look up service

Where we can argue over which of these are necessary/desirable/etc.

The point is that it is pretty easy to describe the semantics of the
entries unambiguously. That is the part of the spec that has to be
normative. That is the part of the spec that has to be reviewed
extensively.

One idea here would be we divide the spec into two documents, the
first a purely normative spec which describes the data the sender
wants to put into the DNS. The second would be an informational guide
that describes ways the information can be used.

                Phill