Re: Another tweak to eliminate objections - SRV records

2004-03-18 07:57:07

One of the biggest complaints about RMX style proposals is that all
outgoing
mail has to be funnelled through the 'authorized' mail servers.

Perhaps simplifying the means of configuring mail clients to do this would
help eliminate some of the complaints. Fortunately we seem to already have
scheme that (almost) does this.

We could describe SRV service points for _OUT_SMTP._TCP, _POP3._TCP,
_OUT_NNTP._TCP, that would be used to configure the client automagically.
All the user should need to do is to give the email address they want to
use
and the password for authentication.

Phil,

I have already invented this. See my SCAF draft and the RMX++ slides.

regards
Hadmut