fyi; MARID video bittorrents are going away

2004-03-24 09:58:20

After the MARID BoF was over, I converted the 1.2GB high-res stereo
sound videos of the meeting into equivalent 190MB videos.  I made this
video available via bittorrent but I am now down to only two
bittorrent uploaders and that is not enough for me to support
downloading.

I figure should give people one more chance to try downloading the
MARID BoF video before I shut down the torrent.

If you are interested in grabbing the video before it goes away, see:
http://www.midwestcs.com/spf/IETF_videos/

The following is a copy of the README file from the above directory:

For those that want to see this session, you can download an mpeg from:

ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/pub/videolab/video/ietf59/ietf59-ch1-thur-am_040304_0845_5.mpg

Note that this mpeg is 1.2GB of nice high res pictures of people
talking in stereo sound at 192kbps.

I have created a smaller file (over a factor of 6 smaller) that has
almost the same quality.  The bad news is that this mpeg does not seem
to run on Windows.  It appears to work fine on Linux and *BSD using
mplayer and xine, but no one has found any program to display it on
Windows.  I'm not a video geek and I know just enough about this stuff
to be dangerous.  :-<

Sorry Windows people.  If some kind person with a clue would help me
out, or do the conversion themselves, that would be great.

The Unix mpeg is available via bittorrent at:

http://www.midwestcs.com/spf/IETF_videos/ietf_marid.mpg.torrent

I need bittorrent users to keep their torrents up, I can not provide
that much bandwidth.  BitTorrent plugins can ben found at:
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

There are rumors that this video works under Win2K using the
Videolan client.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

They have a MacOSX port to.

I also suspect it will work fine under Mac OS X, with the mplayerOSX
binaries.  See:

http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/

William(at)elan.net provided the following tips:

For windows try the following links (ffdshow is probably what you need):

ffdshow: http://cutka.szm.sk/ffdshow or
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow
XviD:    http://www.xvid.org
ffmpeg:  http://ffmpeg.org
mplayer: http://www.mplayerhq.hu

The command I used to create these on Linux was:

mencoder -o ietf_marid.avi -oac mp3lame \
   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=100 \
   -lameopts preset=voice ietf59-ch1-thur-am_040304_0845_5.mpg