RE: Why we should choose the RFC2821 MAIL FROM/HELO identities

2004-03-24 16:55:47

A> SPF-like proposals also scale well

Something that requires pre-registration of all of the places
I may send
mail from does not scale all that well.  Imagine having to preregister
every telephone you might call from.

"Calling-Card."

At least that's what my phone company calls them - effectively a credit card
for making local and long distance phone calls without depositing money.
It's my "registration."  But that's more analogous to SMTP AUTH, or SMTP AUTH
over a different port.

Now this was covered in the LMAP discussion draft, too.  There are many ways
for authorized users to authenticate themselves against a relay server for
sending mail.  Just like calling cards let me place long distance calls at my
phone company's rates from a phone not serviced by my phone company.  And as
explained in said draft, they don't have to scale with the Internet, just
with the number of users at a given site.

The die-hards who just have to be their own MTA can use dynamic DNS to
"pre-register" and "de-register" their locations seamlessly.  I believe these
to be in the extreme minority but they're not excluded.  This is an
implementation problem, not a design problem for us.  It's an easy problem to
solve too, at least for the IP-based designs like DMP and FSV.[1]

[1] If folks are going to say "spf-like," "rmx-like," I am going to say it.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
<http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca(_dot_)asc>