RE: Why we should choose the RFC2821 MAIL FROM/HELO identities

2004-03-25 15:41:24
Please excuse the HTML.

        On Mar 25, 2004, at 18:14, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

        > I cannot see any value to
        > an IP based authentication scheme if there is a hole in it that
allows
        > anyone to send email from an unregistered address because thats the
        > way they have always done it.
        [paf]
        >I agree with this, and would like to say that removing ability to
"send
        >from unregistered addresses" is ok for me. It is ok to put a burden
on
        >the sender to do things so the receiver can do whatever he is doing
        >limit the amount of spam he gets.

        This goes with my "The Receiver Decides" mantra.

        If the receiver wants to refuse mail from domains without these
records I'd say go for it.  If the receiver decides to accept mail from
domains without these records I'd say go for it, too.  I wouldn't outright
refuse mail from such domains yet, but that's just me.  Maybe later.