Re: Choice of SMTP headers

2004-03-25 12:48:56

Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> wrote:
My comment was that an architecture with everyone using a central server
is not an "edge" architecture.  It is an infrastructure architecture.

  Your original message said "services", which was ambiguous.  When I
responded, I intentionally used the phrase "protocol deployment at the
edge", which was an attempt to define what I was talking about.

  Infrastructure already exists for most organizations to accept
email, and forward it from a well-known MTA.  The only thing that
may need change is the edge, to get them to use the existing
infrastructure.  So this isn't an architectural change, it's an edge
change.  It's deploying pre-existing protocols to nodes on the edge.

  We know how to do this.  We can do this.  It can take less than 3 years.

My other comments highlighted the architectural differences between your
example and architectures like email.

  Deploying SUBMIT to edge nodes involves no architectural changes to
SMTP.

that's not really the way to think about it. using the 0/0 approach for
these mobility and third-party folk is a way of disabling the mechanism
because it simply cannot work for those scenarios.,

  You can say that forever, but that doesn't make it true.

we need to distinguish between entire classes of use that a scheme does
not cover, versus individual user/organization choices not to employ the
scheme.

  RMX is designed to prevent forgery, which means it intentionally
affects with current classes of use (roaming), where those classes
intersect with spam.  The world changes over time.  Accept it, and
move on.

  Any requirement that an anti-spam method have zero impact on all
roaming users is a requirement that we do nothing to stop spam.  Any
requirement that the architecture of SMTP cannot change is a
requirement that we do nothing to stop spam.

  The question then is: What current classes of use are you willing to
have affected by schemes to fight spam?  What are the bounds on
tolerable affects?

  Alan DeKok.