Re: Choice of SMTP headers

2004-03-25 11:07:13

Alan,

requiring a central server is not an 'edge' deployment.
AD>   <sigh> So I guess I'm mistaken in believing that millions of people
AD> used a new protocol on their computers, at the network edge, in less
AD> than a year.

My comment was that an architecture with everyone using a central server
is not an "edge" architecture.  It is an infrastructure architecture.

My other comments highlighted the architectural differences between your
example and architectures like email.

For the users with the problem, it renders the scheme useless, except
for creating hassles.
AD>   I just don't understand.  The people publishing 0/0 records have
AD> already decided not to use the scheme.

that's not really the way to think about it. using the 0/0 approach for
these mobility and third-party folk is a way of disabling the mechanism
because it simply cannot work for those scenarios., not because they
"choose" not to use it.

we need to distinguish between entire classes of use that a scheme does
not cover, versus individual user/organization choices not to employ the
scheme.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>