Re: Why we should choose the RFC2821 MAIL FROM/HELO identities

2004-03-26 01:29:27

On Mar 26, 2004, at 04:13, Gordon Fecyk wrote:

Patrik suggested "10 lines of sh" can put a public key into a DNS KEY record. That's pretty powerful stuff from what was originally a batch file language.
What stops a particular DNS implementation from inserting data into a
RMX-type record or database, or "synthesizing" a response to a RMX-type query based on data stored in another format somewhere, populated by dynamic DNS
registrations elsewhere?[1]

By the use of public-key cryptography.

See http://ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html

The main part of the script I run as soon as I get a new IP address looks like this, and is a call to dnsupdate:

ADDR=$1
KEYFILE=/usr/local/named/default/Kzx81.paf.se.+001+46883.private
/usr/local/bin/nsupdate -d -v -k $KEYFILE 2>&1 << EOF | grep -v '^>' | tail -1 > /tmp/
ddnsresult
server sjc.paf.se
zone paf.se
update delete zx81.paf.se A
update add zx81.paf.se 10 A $ADDR
send
quit
EOF

The content of /usr/local/named/default/Kzx81.paf.se.+001+46883.private was created via use of openssl, and the public key is added to the DNS as a KEY record.

This is *not* rocket science.

   paf