Re: Why we should choose the RFC2821 MAIL FROM/HELO identities

2004-03-24 16:37:51

Aredridel,

I do not believe that the burden imposed by SPF is much higher than
DomainKeys, ...

A> I agree here -- SPF as it's currently specified only checks SMTP-level
A> fields, not headers

That difference does not constitute much of a technical difference to
the software.  It's all part of a protocol stream and none is more
difficult to parse.

A> -- it's easy enough to rewrite any third-party
A> service to use their own domain as the sending domain in the MAIL FROM.

MailFrom does not specify the sending domain.  It specifies a return
address.  It is not appropriate to have intermediaries arbitrarily
changing the return address.

A> SPF also codifies what's rapidly becoming a best practice: rejecting
A> mail that claims to come from one place (domain) when in fact it is
A> coming from an unrelated (and unauthorized) place (specified with a map

that's not distinctive to spf.

A>   if MAIL FROM != RFC2822-From, then display as "From:
A>   <greetingcards(_at_)example(_dot_)com> on behalf of
<joe(_at_)example(_dot_)org>"

you want the user to be shown the return address, if it does not match
the From field?

A> The main reason I prefer validating MAIL FROM instead of header fields
A> is that it maintains some semblance of layering: RFC2821 specifically
A> tries to avoid relying on RFC{2,}822 semantics too much:

Actually, this has pretty close to nothing to do with layering.  You can
model the analysis module at whatever layer is appropriate to the data.

A> SPF-like proposals also scale well

Something that requires pre-registration of all of the places I may send
mail from does not scale all that well.  Imagine having to preregister
every telephone you might call from.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>