Re: Why we should choose the RFC2821 MAIL FROM/HELO identities

2004-03-25 09:01:48

Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> wrote:
Something that requires pre-registration of all of the places I may send
mail from

  Can you please stop claiming that?  You're making it sound like it's
the only option.  It's not, and you know it's not.

  I currently send/receive mail on the road when I'm travelling.  RMX
et. al. would have *zero* effect on my behaviour when I'm roaming.  I
*already* use one or more of a suite of methods to send & receive my
mail, none of which involve my laptop acting as an SMTP client
connecting to the destination SMTP server.  I was doing this before
RMX was proposed, and I will continue to do this even if RMX is widely
deployed.

  RMX etc. require pre-registration of all of the places you may send
mail under ONE condition, and one condition ONLY: If you send mail
from those places as an SMTP client, and claim association with a
third-party domain, where there is no other method for the recipient
MTA to verify that claim.

  That's a pretty long list of conditions to leave off the
"pre-registration" claim.

  Alan DeKok.