Re: Why we should choose the RFC2821 MAIL FROM/HELO identities

2004-03-25 01:36:28

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 03:37:40PM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:

A> SPF-like proposals also scale well

When compared to other methods such as centralized registries.

Something that requires pre-registration of all of the places I may send
mail from does not scale all that well.  Imagine having to preregister
every telephone you might call from.

You don't have to.  However, I sometimes program my phone to make sound
only when known numbers call me.  People wanting my support in the middle
of the night better use a preregistered number.  Also, phone companies
make sure this number is not easily spoofed, something we are only now
trying to accomplish with SMTP.

Futhermore, when someone calls me from an unknown number, and when I do
pick up the phone, there's still the matter of voice recognition.  This
means I recognize the person on the remote end.  You could compare this
to authenticated SMTP.

In the end, PSTN and SMTP are not much different.  The biggest difference
is that spammers calling me over the phone pay the bill whereas spammers
sending me email do not.

Alex
--
begin  sig