RE: Different identities for different problems?

2004-03-29 14:01:05

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Gordon Fecyk wrote:

What does help is the record in reverse DNS (as in MTAMARK)

This ignores the reality of large ISPs, and all three network registries, of
being lazy in delegating and enforcing correct reverse DNS to begin with.

I know tech folks at major ISPs better then most people here and have
participated in RIR activities and know folks from all ip registries and
this statement is just not correct. All of them provide deligation of
reverse very promptly to their corporate customers & downstream ISPs (i.e.
T1s/T3s, dedicated ethernet, etc) and their tech folks will resolve the
problems quickly if anythhing is found. You're also ingoring the fact that
major ISPs are the ones who suffer the most from zombie spamming as their
infrastruture is abused and they have to deal with all the reports, I'd
bet the will be more then willing to participte and enter the records for
their dialup & similar dynamic customer pools.

The problem that may exist is for the dsl groups of some major providers
- but dynamic dsl does not need any special handling and that is majority,
what does need special care are those folks on SDSL and static ips, but
given need this can be worked out within months with proper folks at
large dsl & cable  companies being notified and trained.

And to work around potentially lazy dsl isps is why I proposed allowing
possitive RMX and/or DRIP records to suppress negative INADDR record,
this is quite workable and not likely to be major abuse issue by spammers
who don't like to reveal their identities.

P.S. There are 4 network registries, not 3 (ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, LACNIC) and
     5th (AFRINIC) will be here in < 2 years

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks