Re: Semantics: per user policy

2004-05-08 10:50:41

"Jon" == Jon Kyme <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> writes:

    Jon> Whats wrong with "fenner(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com"?

You're not suggesting that people should change their e-mail addresses
in order to deploy MARID?

I'm not. Bill's organisation seems to value the use of the flat *and*
subdomain-ed address spaces. Perhaps they'd also value MARID as well as
continuing support for "undisciplined" roaming users. Unless MARID can
accomodate them, something will have to give. Perhaps the organisation
would require changes so that it might gain the benefit of MARID. Their
benefit, their cost?

The flat e-mail address space model seems
to be in widespread use at large corporates, and I think the costs of
any proposal that involves changing users' e-mail addresses is way too
high...

If a domain-wide statement can't be formed, then the policy would have to
be limited to subdomains over which a consistent assertion can be made.
While a MARID language should be "sufficiently" expressive, it's not clear
that the costs of the expressiveness you require must be borne by the wider
community. I'm not saying that this shouldn't be so, but features which are
useful only to a minority will have a harder job getting into a spec than
those which are widely useful.