Re: Semantics: per user policy

2004-05-09 05:40:59

"Jon" == Jon Kyme <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> writes:

    Jon> However, it's seems to me that there's a tipping point, when
    Jon> the costs of staying out of MARID become significant -
    Jon> MARID-scheme users are scoring-up your mail because you
    Jon> aren't publishing a record [...]

I think a lot depends on how confident you are that we will reach that
tipping point in a timely manner (if ever).

If you're confident that, even without making allowances for sites
that are going to have difficulties adopting MARID, we will
nonetheless reach the tipping point in a reasonable time, then you can
conclude that the pressure you speak of will force those sites that
have difficulties to adapt nonetheless.  Note that by adopting this
stance you are accepting, de facto, that some sites will effectively
be forced to change their practices.  You therefore also have to
consider whether the costs of the proposal to these sites is
acceptable.

(Of course, any LMAP scheme will require people to make changes, and
there will always be some who argue that the costs of the changes are
unacceptable, so there is a judgement call here.)

If, on the other hand, you believe that reaching that tipping point
soon (if ever) is going to be hard, then you will want to make as many
allowances as possible for those sites that may have objections in
order to promote adoption and increase the chances of achieving
critical mass.

If (like me) you are unsure, then I guess you could start by weighing
up the costs of getting it wrong in both directions.  It seems to me
that the opportunity cost of failing to achieve critical mass far
outweighs the cost of a little added complexity in the specification.

        -roy