Re: Semantics: per user policy

2004-05-11 01:34:23

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 05:56:27PM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| SPF macros are on the verge of being Turing complete.

It seems to me that the SPF macros in many people's minds are not the
SPF macros that are defined in the spec.  The

| I think that it is a pretty good thing to ask what the use cases are and
| whether they justify that level of complexity. SPF design was constrained in
| ways that do not apply to MARID. SPF had to pander to people asking for
| features to avoid splits. I think MARID has the opposite issue, the bias
| here will be for simplicity.

I suggest that we need to do a bit of market research.  Unless we have
a way of determining consensus on the value of any given use case,
simply enumerating the use cases does not contribute to a cost/benefit
decision.

| One issue that does concern me is the extent to which it is practical for
| enterprises to maintain separate per email address data through the DNS. At
| the very least I think we need to describe a mechanism that allows the
| management of per user information to be decoupled from general DNS
| administration (i.e. on a separate server via a zone delegation if the admin
| chooses).

Delegation is a DNS mechanism below the SPF layer.