Re: Adoption of MARID, SPF and alternatives and thoughts on cost (was: on per-user macros; and the IETF's role in a deployment) campaign

2004-05-13 02:47:55

"Matthew" == Matthew Elvey <matthew(_at_)elvey(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> For someone who is interested in publishing LMAP records, there
    >> is little incentive to publish just one type of record: they
    >> may as well publish all types of record that both have a
    >> significant number of sites checking them and allow them to
    >> describe their desired policy.
    >>
    Matthew> That's not true.  Publishing a record that lists the IPs
    Matthew> that may use a domain in HELO is much, much easier in
    Matthew> most cases than publishing a record that lists the IPs
    Matthew> that may use that domain in 2822.From.

I did include the rider "and allow them to describe their desired
policy".  If this WG does something completely different from SPF,
then I can see it being complementary.  I guess the question I was
asking myself is that if this WG produces something SPF-like (as many
people want to do) then perhaps that SPF-like thing should in fact be
SPF.

    Matthew> You are one of the small minority of SPF adopters who's
    Matthew> been able to publish a -all.  (Anyone have stats?)

I think many people are just being cautious.  I'm happy to publish
-all for my personal domain; if/when we publish SPF at work, I would
be more cautious, and would start with ?all, then transition via ~all
to -all.

         -roy