Re: Adoption of MARID, SPF and alternatives and thoughts on cost

2004-05-13 07:27:55

In <E1BOBj1-0001cA-Ub(_at_)argon(_dot_)connect(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk> "Jon Kyme"
<jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> writes:

 wayne:
There are 204 SPF records on the adoption roll that use the exists:
mechanism with a macro variable, so a non-trivial number of domain
owners want some sort of more complex than a simple list of IP
addresses.

How many would you guess (of this small percentage) are for test/logging
purposes, rather than because it's required for core function?

As I mentioned, I posted those stats 6 weeks ago and I'm afraid I
no longer have the data easily available.

If I recall correctly, there weren't a huge number (dozens?) that used
testing/logging mechanisms.  On the other hand, the average number of
programs being run under a debugger on my computer is very small.
Being able to easily debug something and make it reliable has an
importance far in excess of the amount of time that debugging is being
used.

This may well be just me being quirky, but I place a very high
priority on having things work reliably.  I am willing to give up a
certain amount of performance for safety.  I think the increased
reliablility of being able to use the SPF mx: mechanism to say
"out MTAs" == "in MTAs" outweighs the costs and the increased
reliability of having an option to debug stuff is even more important.

-wayne