Re: IPv6/MARID

2004-05-15 11:01:02

On Sat, 15 May 2004, Andrew Newton wrote:

On May 14, 2004, at 2:53 PM, william(at)elan.net wrote:
And DNSSec does not use UDP and switches to TCP.

Our DNS advisors suggest you read RFC 3226.

Interesting, missed it before... Not widely implemented yet though since I
see dnssec messages using tcp in my tests. One possible problem is also
that MTU set on most currently deployed computers and routers using ethernet
is 1500 (make it on all currently deployed), as I mentioned in my original
post, that is slowly beginning process to change since 1500 is not efficient
useof multi-gigabit lines and in the core many routers are able to handle
jumbo packets too (but they account for very very small percent right now)

In any case, the point for this group is that when dealing with ip6 (and
even ip4) we should not worry current typical 512k dns packet size too much
as limiting factor for the future. Just remember that DNS is designed to
be "light weight" and quick database query protocol and we should not try
to overload with new large records (i.e. this is not HTTP or BEEP to try
to insert XML into it) or large number of records

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks