Re: The roaming user problem is insoluble (paging Meng Wong)

2004-05-15 16:24:32

From MXCOMP posts:

On 5/10/04 6:38 PM, Matthew Elvey sent forth electrons to convey:

On 5/10/2004 9:45 AM, Douglas Otis sent forth electrons to convey:

Is there an major reason why SPF can not use the helo/ehlo domain as a
primary reference rather than as a fall-back?  The SPF proposal should
consider an immediate benefit of using DNS to authorize the MTA long
before repudiating mail 'from' becomes practical.  From my
understanding, the first task of this work group is to consider
authorizing the MTA and not repudiating mail 'from'.  A consistent
method of authorizing the MTA will provide significant relief and can
serve as a foundation for mail 'from' repudiation.  Consider MTA
authorization as a first step as indicated in the charter.
Hear, hear. I would say that "SPF with mandatory HELO checks, NBB, and no SRS requirement" is another way to describe what I've been suggesting (CSV+NBB and other tweaks).

Meng [/Mark], may we develop an I-D based on the ideas in the CSV thread and on the SPF I-D? We need your or Mark's permission to create a derivative work, but you've indicated you don't like these ideas (I've expressed my counterarguments to your reasoning elsewhere). I'd like to see if there isn't more ready adoption of this scheme.

Second request (forgot to mail Meng directly with original post...), asking Mark L as well.

The courtesy of a reply is requested.