Re: The roaming user problem is insoluble (paging Meng Wong)

2004-05-11 15:38:22

On 5/11/2004 1:23 AM, Tony Finch sent forth electrons to convey:

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Matthew Elvey wrote:
IME this case is a recipe for messages disappearing without a trace. For
example, Freeserve's transparent SMTP proxies are in the MAPS DUL so when
my users try to send email at home they often find that our servers reject
both the original message and the resulting bounce. Similar effects will
result from LMAP or SES rejections.
Umm, this makes no sense.

Yes, it is stupid.
Are you twisting my words around because you want to annoy me?

(Though I was wrong to say DUL -- I forgot which
component of the RBL+ they were listed in.)
The RBL.

If the the SMTP proxies are transparent, then it is the end user's IP
that in the DUL and being looked up as the connecting server.   Is that
what you meant to say?

Nope, they really did put their intercepting smarthosts in the RBL.
http://mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/show_listing.cgi?733097

At Freeserve's request, according to that url.
"The following IP addresses have been added to the MAPS RBL on request of your ISP" Instead of blaming Freeserve, despite these two examples of boneheadedness, you're blaming MAPS *AND* using this example of what to not break. That truly makes no sense.