Re: The roaming user problem is insoluble

2004-05-10 12:07:30

| Is there an major reason why SPF can not use the helo/ehlo domain as a
| primary reference rather than as a fall-back?  The SPF proposal should
| consider an immediate benefit of using DNS to authorize the MTA long
| before repudiating mail 'from' becomes practical.

Sounds to me like two sides of the same coin.

If HELO is allowed to bypass mail-from repudiation, gaming becomes
trivial and the adoption dynamic is weakened.  From my observations,
more people are interested in stopping joe-jobs than in asserting the
validity of their MTA as with the SS/MTAMark/.mxout./CSV family of
proposals.  So we should continue to focus on this line of work.

| From my understanding, the first task of this work group is to
| consider authorizing the MTA and not repudiating mail 'from'.

Considering that the spiritual ancestor of all the LMAP proposals was
Vixie's "Repudiating Mail-From", it looks like there is generally more
interest in the 2821.mail-from as a primary identity ahead of HELO.