implementation compliance [RE: Reuse of TXT]

2004-05-18 10:14:12

Hi,

Trying to avoid FUD by providing some stats :

I've tested compliance with unknown types in known class. I tested for
both serving and resolving capabilities.

What I did not do:

1) test for proper QTYPE=*, QNAME=* or QCLASS=* handling.(I queried for
   specific type in the 'IN' class with a specific non-wildcard name).
2) proper error handling in case of noncompliance. (old imps return a
   wide variety of errors, if they return response at all).
3) I did not check proper presentation format in debugging tools like
   DiG, DoC, NSLOOKUP, etc.
4) I did not check the availability, let alone compliance of
   getrrsetbyname() in OS species.

What I did do:

   I considered implementations that return an existing 'unknown' TYPE
when queried with the same 'unknown' QTYPE compliant. To avoid false
negatives I've queried every instance for a known type as well.  In
effect, this test was specifically for RFC 3597 sec 3 'Transparency'.

The bulk of popular (**) implementations are compliant:

COMPLIANT:

  BIND 8 (>= version 8.3.0)
  BIND 9 (>= version 9.1.0)
  Microsoft NT DNS