Re: implementation compliance [RE: Reuse of TXT]

2004-05-18 13:31:53

On 5/18/2004 10:13 AM, roy(_at_)dnss(_dot_)ec sent forth electrons to convey:

Hi,

Trying to avoid FUD by providing some stats :

Thanks!

COMPLIANT:

 BIND 8 (>= version 8.3.0)
 BIND 9 (>= version 9.1.0)
 Microsoft NT DNS
 Microsoft server 2000
 Microsoft server 2003
 Nominum ANS
 Nominum CNS
 TinyDNS
 NSD (>= version 2.0.1)
 PowerDNS (>= version 2.9.11)
 MaraDNS [recursive only]
 totd
 dnscache
 Net::DNS (>= version 0.44)

NOT COMPLIANT:

 BIND 4
 BIND 8 (< version 8.3.0)
 BIND 9 (< version 9.1.0)
 NSD (< version 2.0.1)
 PowerDNS (< version 2.9.11)
 Net::DNS (< version 0.44)
 MaraDNS [authoritative only]
 NonSequitur DNS
 Incognito DNS commander
 MyDNS
 Oak DNS
 Posadis
 QuickDNS
 pdnsd
 Simple DNS plus
It would be good to know which of these have known remote root compromise security holes for which patches aren't available. IMO anyone running such a beast has no business complaining if we move to a new record type and they have to upgrade.

NOT TESTED:
 VGRS ATLAS
 eNom DNS
OTOH:
Of all the registrars who provide DNS bundled with domain registration, I know of none that would support a new record type, and a few that won't.
They may be running the latest BIND, but if their UI doesn't allow access...
ZoneEdit: TXT: SUPPORTED, new record type: NOT SUPPORTED.
GoDaddy: TXT: NOT SUPPORTED, new record type: NOT SUPPORTED.
DynDNS:?
UltraDNS:?