RE: suggested new RRtype experiment

2004-05-20 16:56:01

We're talking past each other then. I'll try making my point again.

On windows, we cannot take the approach of dropping in a sibling
library.

The issue isn't the availability of the libraries.

Rather, among other things, it is that the host in question may not
actually have the necessary network access that such library would
require. On sucyh hosts, the system's DNS client implementations work
because they are in fact doing RPC's to remote firewalls, and there is
no way that a dropped-in sibling library can connect up to same
successfully, since, for starters, the RPC-protocol spoken is
type-specific.

        Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Yakov Shafranovich [mailto:research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 4:51 PM
To: Bob Atkinson
Cc: Eric A. Hall; IETF MARID WG
Subject: Re: suggested new RRtype experiment

Bob Atkinson wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm missing the point you're making here.

The point here is the same as Eric made earlier:

People have been dealing with resolver limitations for years and
not
just
for Windows. In the usual case, they deal with it by embedding
their
own
resolver into the app that does whatever heavy lifting is needed,
while
passing simple calls you can to the native APIs.

--
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com