Re: suggested new RRtype experiment

2004-05-22 11:46:04

On May 22, 2004, at 1:45 PM, Jim Lyon wrote:
Interpretation 1:

You said (through my paraphrase):  Yes, if we use XML we need a
namespace, and that needs a URI. But we shouldn't use an HTTP URI, we
should use a value-neutral one like an IETF URI.

My response: Yes, it would be possible to do that. It means that our
namespace would be something like "ietf:rfc:9999".

IANA already has a registry for these type of URIs:  see BCP 81.

Interpretation 2:

You said (through my paraphrase):  No, we don't need no stinkin' URI's.

My response: I believe that you're mistaken.

How about no XML namespace declarations?
Instead, we could establish an IANA registry for XML prefix registrations only for MARID records. This would eliminate some of the verbosity of XML but still allow for extensions. Naturally, such prefixes as xml and xmlns would be reserved. The other advantages are that this is still XML, and that a namespace aware processor is not needed (best for using a single XML parser instance across multiple threads).

-andy