Re: suggested new RRtype experiment

2004-05-23 08:51:50

--"Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> wrote:
Look, I'm not advocating anything other than compact data. I'm perfectly
happy with pre-XML SPF (I've been using it for a while), or RMX, or any of
the other similar proposals as long as they commit to a compact encoding.
I like DomainKeys too, but they'd have to store the certs somewhere other
than DNS before I'd back it. Really, this is all I care about.

OK, I can totally agree with this. I am a strong supporter of SPF for the same reason (among a few others).

The "merged" approach allows for both SPF and XML syntax to exist in parallel for quite some time. This will be a pain in the ass for implementers, but I think it will be worth it in order to get existing SPF supporters on board.

The prevailing opinion among those I talked to at the interim meeting is that XML will be the future direction, but I think it might be possible to wake up in 5 years and still find that 90% of participating domains have expressed SPF-style syntax. If that happens we might reconsider the direction :) So if XML doesn't take off, we still have options ;)