zonecuts (Was: Wild card MXes)

2004-05-26 17:08:04

For those that are interesting in zonecuts, they are spelled out in
RFC2181 section 6.

In <200405261752(_dot_)38804(_dot_)davidb(_at_)verisignlabs(_dot_)com> David
Blacka <davidb(_at_)verisignlabs(_dot_)com> writes:

[use of zone cuts]

This is a feature of *authoritative* DNS servers.  The vast majority
of those will, indeed, return the name of the zone in the AUTHORITY
section, either in the form of an SOA record (when rcode=NXDOMAIN)
or a set of NS records (when rcode=NOERROR).

However, it would not be a good idea to count on the *application*
being able to reliably get that information.  AFAIK, resolvers have
no requirement to return to the stub anything other than the answer.

Yes, and in, for example, res_findzonecut(), there is code to deal
with this situation.

In <20040525182342(_dot_)29474(_dot_)qmail(_at_)xuxa(_dot_)iecc(_dot_)com> John
Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> writes:

Wow, is that a hack.  Wildcards don't do what we want, so we'll use
zone cuts as faux wildcards.

Well, I guess I never thought of using the zonecut as really being
related to a "wildcard", so I didn't think it was a bad solution.
Quite a bit of special stuff happens at the zonecuts if you search
through the RFCs.  For example, if you want to find out about the
start of authority for a given domain name, you have to look at the
zone cut level.

Remember that the main argument against a MARID record is that Windows
clients can't deal with them.  Given what Bob's told us about the
Windows DNS client, I would be astonished if they were able to use the
additional authority records needed to suport this, either.

According to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dns/dns/dns_record.asp

MicroSoft supports the SOA record.  Since I don't run MS code much, I
can't easily test it.

Also, has anyone run this past DNS experts?  This strikes me as
something they might have strong opinions about.

Well, Ed Lewis was at the meeting helping us out with DNS issues, but
we had pretty well beat him into silence by the time I brought up the
zonecut issue.  He did make a few minor comments in response to
confusions like looking at the authorative name server vs the domain
name of the zone and he didn't seem to be bothered by it, but I should
probably let him speak for himself.

-wayne